Sunday, November 15, 2009

Here come the holidays

It's almost time for the first in a series of highly anticipated holidays, bringing with them their rituals, traditions and celebrations among families, friends, even strangers. Approach these holidays with a new perspective....make them safe. Read the post below on Holiday safety, and consider giving a gift of safe home planning this year. While my book hasn't sold record breaking copies (really hard without a publicist/publisher), those that HAVE read it have said the following: I loved your book..I am working through each chapter and my wife and I are making changes, creating lists, etc. We live in a log home, in a wooded area, and your tips have really made us look at everything in a new light...Mike E., St. Louis, MO........and another.....I was so inspired by your book that this year, I am giving each of my sisters and my son a copy of your book in one of those plastic storage tub you recommend, with a home fire extinguisher, a note pad, and a disposable camera...I hope they will be safe, and I hope my gift conveys how important they all are to me...Peggy B., Cape Girardeau, MO...

Please share your safety tips here and consider making someone you love safe this holiday. The book is available on the website, www.isurvivedahousefire.com. If you want an autographed copy, I'll make that happen if you email me via the contact page on the website. Happy SAFE holidays to you and your family!!

4 comments:

Danielle Ellan Brown said...

I know this is older post, but let us consider the next upcoming holiday (the 4th of the July). There are more fires reported during this holiday than any other holidays. Simple safety measures can be taken to prevent the unthinkable from happening.

Candace Quinn said...

Danielle,
Thanks for the post. You are so right. With wild fires burning in Arizona, it's a perfect time to consider the dangers of summer campfires, summer grilling fires, and summer fireworks. Respect these pleasures, and respect the conditions around any fire source. Dry grass, leaves, clippings, and other flammables are instant danger for summer fires.

Olivia said...

Don't leave any appliances on when you leave the house! Always make sure they are completely off! Wherever your heat comes from, (pellet stove, wood burner), always check that everything is in the right place and working properly!

Candace Quinn said...

Olivia is exactly right. Don't leave the house with a fire burning in the fireplace,either. And while holiday lights are lovely, turn off those inside when you leave the home. Thanks, Olivia